It was built in 15th century as a small monastery. Then it changed into a big Dzong in 1646. Then it burned down in 1907 and lost its all treasures. This dzong is one of the most impressive dzongs in Bhutan as Thimpu and Punaka. Today Paro Dzong is the center of government administrative offices, court and the monastery with 200 monks.