Founded in 1797, this was the 17th mission to be built in California. Labor on the site was based on agriculture. Much of the current structure, especially the chapel have been extensively rebuilt due to earthquake damage. The mission includes lots of artifacts from the time that the mission was built. The cemetery is believed to contain several hundred native Americans and about twenty Franciscan friars and priests.